Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cars, Cars, and More Cars!




Cinemablend posted 3 more posters from the Cars 2 series. Of all the Pixar posters I've gotten the amazing opportunity to work on, the series for Cars 2 was definitely the most challenging. With The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-e, and Up, I was able to keep a consistent look throughout each series, so once the stylization of the characters was approved it was then easy enough to concentrate on the themes and layout for each. Cars 2 was an entirely different story. With its multiple settings, characters, and themes, we knew that one style would not suffice to capture the scope of the film. Everything from minimalist Japanese design - to vintage Italian racing posters - to spy film graphics, were used as inspiration to create the series. Pixar has always been amazing at compiling tons and tons of reference material for each film and it was a life-saver when it came to nailing down the 'authenticity' of these. For me, challenging = fun, and it was a blast to switch back and forth in design aesthetic and rendering style. I definitely learned a lot of new tips and tricks within Photoshop on this project. A special thanks to Harley Jessup and Jay Shuster for their sage-like advice in getting these to where they are.

7 comments:

James Lien said...

All three of these are awesome!

Unknown said...

Superb series of posters! You nailed it!
We need to talk about the Paris one though... ;)

Anonymous said...

Excellent work!

Tanner said...

Thanks James, Stef & Elua! I really appreciate your kind comments.

Stef, I completely forgot to add your 'mime' car in Paris. Please forgive me :(

dylansdad said...

OK, I really like the third "Bond" style poster. I need that for my son's room.

Ricardo De Los Angeles said...

You the man Tan. :D Great work!

Vince M said...

W O W ! ! !