Thursday, January 27, 2011

There goes Astronaut Jones!!!


This is a bit late, but Gallery 1988 had a show dedicated to comedy. Each artist was assigned a different comedian and it was up to us to translate them in our own unique style. I've been a fan of Tracy Morgan ever since he was 'Hustle Man' on the Martin show so I was pretty damn excited when i was paired up with him. One of the few times I've pissed my pants watching television was when Tracy busted out his 'Astronaut Jones' character on SNL. It's a really simple sketch but the endings were always killers. I think I knew immediately that I wanted to do an "Astronaut" piece. This was done old school style, with acrylic paint on a wood panel. It was fun to paint again after living life on the computer for so long. A HUGE thanks to whoever ended up purchasing the painting. Your contribution to the 'Eric Tan art supply & framing fund' is greatly appreciated!

7 comments:

TREVOR Simonsen said...

Astronaut jones is by far on of the favorite sketches

Elena said...

LOL that's great Tanner!

Rona said...

I LOVE THIS!

Tanner said...

Thanks guy!
I definitely agree Trevor - it makes me laugh every time.
Elena - Glad it made ya laugh! I just hoped to have something really goofy-looking in the end.
Ronasaurus - I miss you walking down the halls here. The painting for your dad is AWESOME!!!!

Angaramiel said...

This is awesome! I always love your work. I wish I could have a piece in my living room!

RYAN ASTAMENDI PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Great piece Tan! A really good likeness as well....I knew exactly who it was the second I saw it.

Unknown said...

Hilarious! Awesome expression ^_^