Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yup, Them's Princesses!




Ever since I started designing posters, I've always had this goal of creating my very own versions for all the animated Disney films. Those classics have had such an impact on my art and my career, that I wanted to do it almost as a tribute to the importance
they had on me as a kid. Disney Consumer Products had a cool idea going when they decided to ask a bunch of internal artists to put their artistic spin on the Princesses for a book that was just released, The Art of Disney Princess. You can almost guess immediately what I wanted to do with my pieces. Yup, MOVIE POSTERS!!!

Little Mermaid came out when I was in high school and reinvigorated the entire Animation studio which influenced me to want to get into field that as a career. Although I found I didn't have the chops for animation, it led me down the path to my current position with Disney and it'll always be one of those films that reminds me of how I fortunate I am to end up where I did.

Sleeping Beauty was just an amazing piece of artistic vision. The look of the film made an impact on me as a kid and I remember trying to draw the Maleficent dragon over and over with less than stellar results.

It was an honor to get to 'remix' two of these classic films and I seriously hope I get to do more. Check out the book if you happen to come across it. It's definitely worth taking a look at all the amazing Princess translations my fellow coworkers created.

29 comments:

Pug and Sue said...

Your posters always leave me feeling inspired and glad that I've chosen a career along the path of art. :)

DAVID WILSON said...

Solid work man, I'm in love with the Sleeping Beauty piece- you really fused your style together with the style the picture had already.

Perferct gestalt.

Melinda Seckington said...

Wow, those are gorgeous. I would so hang a version of these up in my house :)

Kyrstin said...

I just saw this book recommended to me on Amazon. I can't wait to check it out. I especially love the retro Arial poster!

Eirin Edvardsen said...

I love this! I am very impressed of your work!

Your Host, Matt said...

This book in general is excellent and I love your treatment for Sleeping Beauty. Thank you!

dylansdad said...

They're both great--but I particularly love the Sleeping Beauty piece. Will these ever be up for sale?

Tanner said...

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Cirien, I'm glad you're following your passion. Although art sounds fun to many people (and it is!), it's a lot of hard work to keep building up your skill and 'vocabulary'. Although I've been doing this for a while now, I still pull all-nighter's every now and then just like when I was still in school. But in the end, yup, it's all worth it ;)

dwilson, thanks so much man! I tried to pay tribute to the film's art direction and do it justice. I'm glad it came through.

Melinda and Dylan's Dad, hopefully these do make it as prints soon. We're still trying to figure out the logistics of that.

Dorota said...

Beautiful work Eric!!!!!

GARZA said...

Amazing composition and I love the sleeping beauty's hair! Awesome work Eric!

Robyn McIntyre said...

Love your work; you're extremely talented, no doubt about it.

Jamie Meckel said...

awesome stuff!

jmaruyama said...

Love the Mermaid poster. Awesome.

Unknown said...

what's the best way to reach you eric? i've been trying to add u on facebook or send you an email but for some reason i can't find any of your information. ur such a secret agent dood! :P

Lou Zabala said...

Man that is nice. Would love to buy a print of that Ariel piece for my girlfriend. That's her fave. Keep it up!

dylansdad said...

Were there copies of these available for sale at the D23 convention?

Jen1 said...

So beautiful.

neverlandrulz said...

I love that Ariel Poster :) is there any way that I would be able to buy the full size thing?

Tanner said...

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'm not sure if these are gonna live on in forms other than in the book, but I've put in a recommendation to our print house and I'll let you know if anythi8ng comes through.

colemeister said...

I watched the official Toy Story 3 trailer. There were many nice posters in the background...looking a lot like your style :)

Anonymous said...

Eric, these are so incredibly awesome. My boyfriend and I's dream is to decorate our place in this 60's art deco style but with Disney theme and this is always such a sight to see. Would love to buy your prints. They are amazing!! :)

andalone said...

MUST HAVE Sleeping Beauty! I will buy the book for now, but so hoping it will become a full-size poster.

Connie Jaio Wong said...

The Sleeping Beauty is our favorite! My husband and I just bought print #5 at the D street store at Downtown Disney. Love the composition and color. It's hanging on our wall now. Well Done!

Tanner said...

That's so cool Connie! Thanks so much for getting it. I was down there last weekend and didn't even know it was up til I went in to buy a gift and saw it on the wall. They did a really good print job & it's nice to see in a larger size like that. I'm glad u & the hubby enjoy it!

dylansdad said...

For those who are interested but not within driving distance of Downtown Disney, I see that Sleeping Beauty is now available through Acme:

http://www.acmearchivesdirect.com/product.jhtm?id=1979&cid=484

joe23 said...

Eric i was wondering if u had ant of your lost posters availible for sale

rite wen i saw them i loved them
you are truly the best artist i have seen

Chelsea Malone said...

Can I buy ur posters anywhere? I want the little mermaid and sleeping beauty. They are amazing!

Tanner said...

Thanks Malone! The posters can both be found at Acme Archives. Try acmearchivesdirect.com

Chelsea Malone said...

Thanks! I will check them out!!!